Monday, August 17, 2009

Failed marketing idea...

"Want fuller, plumper, redder, poutier lips? Try new Sunburn! from L'oreal."

It was a long, hot weekend in the sun for my nearly pigment-free self. I slathered on the Bullfrog slightly faster than I managed to sweat it off and wound up with only a little bit of raccoon face and red neck. The only places that got hit badly were my temples and my lips.

(I wear my Wiley-X's tipped slightly so that the temples of the goggles go above my hearing pro; this also leaves enough ventilation around the tops of the eyepieces to keep them from fogging up, which they will do if worn normally despite the "ventilation slots" in the foam rubber eyecups. The part of my temples thus exposed apparently sweated the sunblock off faster than I reapplied it.)

7 comments:

Tango Juliet said...

I try to keep my lips well dressed with some evil tasting lip gunk which seems to work as far as repelling sunburn, but I worry about the evil chemicals I'm ingesting.

God only knows what's in that stuff.

George said...

Back in the good old days ... when I sailed ... I found that my nose and lips were most sensitive to sun and wind. I found that zinc oxide ... yeah ... yeah ... diaper rash creme ... was the best for my nose. No matter how fast the dripping sweat, it stayed on. Mind you ... getting some in your eyes was a stinger!

It now comes in all sorts of hot colours ... especially for youngsters like yourself, Tam. Perhaps a variety of appropriate combinations?

As for lips, it didn't seem to matter ... as long as I replaced what wore off ... about every 10 minutes.

Regards.

NotClauswitz said...

Doc Martin's - doesn't sting and stay functional in water. Works on old bald guys.

Ed Foster said...

As the albinoid scion of a long line of Celtic (mostly) redheads, and being fond of outdoor things, I've always tried to make the sacrifice of getting enough burns early in the season to start the freckling/light tan thing happening by midsummer.

No moles or warts in the family (serious precursors), and no cancer, in four generations of military people, hikers, ball players,and sailors. And I don't have to put up with grease.

NotClauswitz said...

Contact me and I'll send you a tube of Doc Martin's. I've got a mess of it, we always buy extra when we're on Maui cause it's cheaper at Long's drugstore than through the 'Net.

Anonymous said...

You don't get to make fun of my wookie suit when you obtain your sartorial sunglasses selection by imitating the 75th Ranger Battalion, Madame Tacticool :P

- Anonymous Ron Paul Voter With Bowcaster

Tam said...

Actually, I bought my shooting glasses because of the employee discount and the fact that I could replace the arms with a goggle strap (a feature I wound up never using.)

They are a little goofy-looking for day-to-day sunglasses...