Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Makes me sad...

Michael Bane is playing with the .327 Magnum, which is a cartridge that makes me sad. Let me explain:

When H&R partnered with Federal to introduce the .32 H&R Magnum back in 1984, the cartridge was specifically designed to work with the Harrington & Richardson revolvers, which are not known for their vault-like strength. As a result, the SAAMI-specified maximum pressure for the chambering is 21,000 c.u.p., which is not terribly much more than .38 Spl +P and actually slightly less than .380 Auto. By comparison, the established "Magnum" cartridges (.357, .41, and .44) all operated at 35k+ c.u.p..

This left the .32 H&R a weak sister. Aftermarket companies could only hot-rod it so far before their attorneys started getting the vapors at the thought of someone grenading a cheapo H&R revolver and, as a result, the zippiest factory loadings you'll find will only shove a 100gr bullet at 1000-1100 feet-per-second.

The .327 gets past this with an entirely new case that is longer than the old one, but it would have been just as easy to develop a ".32 H&R Magnum +P" specification that would have worked just fine in existing Rugers and Smiths. This wouldn't have gotten Federal's name on a cartridge, though, and they wouldn't have been able to load it quite as hot with the heaviest bullets. Plus it wouldn't have sold a bunch of new guns.

At least if it doesn't catch on and the caliber dies, you'll still be able to shoot .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Mag in the guns...

17 comments:

Joseph said...

So the reason you're sad is that capitalists are being, you know, capitalists?

If you want to shoot hot .32HR loads out of your Ruger, you can by loading your own. If that's too much trouble, you can sell your .32HR gun or trade it in on a .327 Federal Magnum gun.

Of all the annoying things gun/cartridge companies do, this isn't even close to the top of the list IMO.

Tam said...

I said "sad", not "enraged" or even "annoyed".

Actually, I'm probably more annoyed that the first company to go with a hot-rodded .32 was H&R, which doomed the cartridge to being weak tea.

J.R.Shirley said...

Hey, I'd love to have one. A K-frame sized 6 shooter that'll last forever with hot loads. What's not to love?

theirritablearchitect said...

"...if it doesn't catch on and the caliber dies, you'll still be able to shoot .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Mag in the guns..."

Kinda strange that the H&R Mag has lived as long as it has. I'm unaware of who's currently making any guns, if any, but despite that, always seeing a stack of that stuff at my usual haunts, both big and small. It appears to sell, albeit slowly.

Go figger.

Tam said...

.32 H&R Mag comes and goes. Ruger and S&W occasionally cataloged pieces in the chambering.

The blue zillion J-frames, SP-101's, and Single Sixes available in the caliber mean that, like .41 Magnum, it will never completely go away.

(My pocket gun is a 432 in .32 Mag...)

TheCabinetMan said...

What I'd really like to see is Marlin put the 327 Mag into a Model 1894. Not exactly sure what I'd do with it, but I'd still like to see it. Might even buy one, maybe. Uber rodent slayer??

TCM

Rick R. said...

J.R. Shirley --

I HAVE a K-frame that will last forever with hot loads.

S&W M65. It'll take the hottest factory .38 Special by the truck load. It'll also swallow a decent amount of hot loaded .357 Magnum on the side.

the advantage I can see with the .327 is that you can get a 6-shot J frame with a load that is "not bad".

Anonymous said...

still not much of a load. have shot several and it just didn't push the i must have button. 38 plus p loads are much more thn this little wantabee.

Rabbit said...

I'll keep my Blackhawk in .30 Carbine just the same. Some of my handloads are a little on the spooky side (ok, some are downright scary), and the only thing I have to consistently do it keep the cases trimmed back.

Besides, can a .327 instantly kill all the mosquitoes in a 30 foot radius when you fire it? Didn't think so.

Regards,
Rabbit.

wv- ringl; what your ears do when you touch off the Blackhawk on an indoor range.

Matt G said...

I have never met any person anywhere who was as queer for the .32 bore as you are, my friend. :)

Baba55 said...

Nobody loves the .32-20 anymore... do they? Newer gotta be better eh?

Or is it?

Tam said...

I loves me some .32-20, but it doesn't work too well in a J-frame-sized six shooter.

Michael in CT said...

The Single-Six in 32 Magnum is very popular with those shooters in SASS who like to go really, really fast. Of course they are loading it really light.

Gewehr98 said...

Well, I'm glad somebody's playing with it.

Never really showed as a blip on my "must have" radar screen, to be honest.

Beaumont Guy said...

Ahhh, the .32s in all their glory. Well, actually more like .311s.

Shooting .32-20 in my granddad's 1905 M&P, I find recoil not substantially diminished over the same gun in .38. I'll never sell it, of course, but I find .38/357 considerably more versatile.

Hunsdon said...

Personally I find the size difference between the J frame and D frame to make all the difference in the world; I just don't shoot a J like I do a D.

Wasn't is Ayoob who said the D carries like a J and shoots like a K?

My dream carry revolver would be a 3" D frame (not by Colt, of course, but oh if only) available in steel and .357, and alloy and .38 Special +P.

I used to know some guys who were crazy mad for the .32 H&R in a Single Six, and ran 'em hot hot hot. Also loud loud loud.

Rick R. said...

Cossack,

I could go with a 3" D frame stainless .357. . . Eagle Secret Serevice grips. . .

Of course, it will force me to buy another self-shucker, as I cannot let my shrine to Jeff Cooper reach parity of wheelies versus autoloaders. {snicker}

But then again, I'd have to retrain myself to run the cylinder release backwards from twenty years of practice, so maybe not. . .