Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Testing, Part 1...

So, I got an email recently from Laserlyte telling me that they were big fans of my blog and would I like to receive...absolutely free!...an NAA Mini Revolver and their grip-activated laser to test?

A digression: These are grips with a laser, not Lasergrips™ because Crimson Trace makes Lasergrips™ and, up until early 2014, Crimson Trace had the patent on grip-activated lasers. But, just like Colt and others were champing at the bit waiting for S&W's patent on the bored-through revolver cylinder to expire in 1869, other companies had designs ready and waiting to hit the marketplace on the CTC patent's expiration.

Well, they said they're big fans of my blog, so I suppose they read it. Okay, here goes...

The box arrived. Understand that I had the choice of black, white pearl, teal, or pink. I went with teal so as to get into the spirit of this, but I wasn't willing to go all the way to pink. I'll do a lot for you readers, but I have my limits.

Yes, that's Indy Arms Co product placement you see. Thanks for handling the transfer, guys! Clean, well-lit range for indoor shooting on the near north side!
The NAA Mini shipped with the usual little rosewood grips.

Which were promptly replaced with the LaserLyte V-Mini Grip Laser. The small screwdriver bit on my Leatherman Juice CS4 worked fine for the installation. (I like the Juice line because they're about the size of a middlin' Swiss Army knife and can be pocket carried, rather than in some pouch on the bat belt, which I hate.)

The basic NAA Mini in .22LR is a tiny gun, shown here with a Glock 17 for scale.

I bought these targets from Law Enforcement Targets.
The shot marked #1 over the ear was me just throwing the gun up and blindly point-shooting at three yards in a two-hand grip. The next two shots, I put the un-adjusted laser dot between the eyes and the bullets barely nicked the left edge of the paper.

The shots low to the left, marked #2 and #3, were actually shots #4 and #5, and were made in careful two-handed slow-fire using the iron sights.

I then cranked on the laser adjustment screws with the supplied Allen wrenches until the red dot was right there where #2 and #3 landed while the iron sights were held right between the eyes.

The remaining 25 rounds were made in two- and three-round strings, just bringing the gun up to roughly eye-level and pulling the trigger when the laser dot was in the eye-box of the target.

Much, much more to follow in parts 2, 3, & et cetera.
.