Monday, May 05, 2008

My head feels vacuumed out.

I promised LEM a second column this week and this morning I figured I'd dragged my heels long enough and so a little after noon I tossed an extension cord through the front window onto the porch, sat down with my old Duo 280c on my lap, and vomited forth the contents of my skull through my fingertips. A little over a thousand words later, I felt physically drained. I linked the Duo to the WallStreet, copied the file over, emailed it to myself, and then used the big desktop machine in the office to forward it on to the editor.

I should have blogged up the Indy Gunblogger Meetup we had yesterday, but RobertaX did such a fantastic job of it that I'd feel a little redundant. Plus, it's all I can do to string two coherent sentences together right now. Suffice it to say that I had a grand time and really enjoyed meeting everyone; conversation that agile doesn't happen every day, but hopefully we can get it to happen every month or two. Og is even funnier in person, if you can imagine that. The Old Grouch is misnamed. Caleb from Call Me Ahab is as smart as you'd think he is if you've been reading his stuff; give him another bit and he'll be Indy's answer to SayUncle. Mark Alger of BabyTrollBlog, who can actually write, said nice things about my writing and I hope I didn't blush too badly. And I met Frank W. James without squealing anything too fangirlish like "OMG! I've been reading your stuff since I was so new in the gun business that I barely knew which end the bullets came out of out of which the bullets came!" (True Story: The first time he commented on my blog, I immediately called Marko. "Dude! You are not going to believe who reads my blog!" Whoops. That was fangirlish, wasn't it? Oh, well.)

So with my skull lighter by a dozen paragraphs, I will sleep the Sleep of the Just tonight and awaken tomorrow ready to do something entirely less taxing, like yard work. The green stuff in the places that are Not Lawn is about sprouted enough for even my botanically ignorant self to tell the weeds from the hygrangiums and I am going to put on my gloves and go after the former with a vengeance and try not to pull out too many of the latter by mistake. An afternoon of that, and maybe I'll have enough stuff in my head to make it worth squaring off with the keyboard monster again on Wednesday.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"funnier in person"

That's funny looking, m'lady.

Anonymous said...

I loved Og's story about the guy shooting his truck with the .30'06.

breda said...

The first time she commented on my blog, I immediately called Mike. "Dude! You are not going to believe who reads my blog!"

Fangirlish me, about you.

Needless to say, I am squee'ing about June already. =)

Anonymous said...

Aw, Tam. I felt about the same way the first time YOU commented at BTB. Wow! Tamara K! So kewl! So... you know...

Of course, I'm not a gun geek and even I knew who Frank was in a vague sort of peripheral kinda way, so was very impressed you had that deep a draft.

Caleb -- You didn't think the Michelob/Lava Lamp contretemps was just a little hilarious-er?

M

Matt G said...

"So with my skull lighter by a dozen paragraphs, I will sleep the Sleep of the Just tonight and awaken tomorrow ready to do something entirely less taxing, like yard work."

It's really strange how my mind can bend a perfectly clear sentence that you wrote, into something it wasn't.

Anonymous said...

Oh, just wait. Think of the stuff I haven't written yet. There are a LOT of those stories.

Jay G said...

*sigh*

Here I go to make a witty comment and find that both Breda and mark alger beat me to it...