Monday, May 12, 2014

Does this trigger pull make my butt look big?

I don't know where this method of trigger reach measuring came from, but I think I learned it from Kathy. You can use a dressmaker's tape or, if you don't have a cloth tape handy, you could mark a string and measure it against a ruler.

The safest way to measure is on the frame of the field-stripped pistol, although some firearms will require that they be cocked to get an accurate measurement. Clear the chamber and then, since the gun is only "unloaded" in a Schrödinger's Cat sort of way, ensure that the muzzle remains pointed at something that you would not mind putting a hole through when you put the tape into the trigger guard.

Basically, you're looping around the trigger and the backstrap to come up with a number that is more relevant to "trigger reach" than simply measuring the straight-line distance between the two points, since it takes the girth of the pistol into account as well. A single-stack pistol and double-stack pistol could have the same distance from trigger to backstrap as measured by calipers, yet the fatter gun would be harder for the small of hand to get a good firing grip on.

Some plastic cop guns I had handy:
  • Smith & Wesson M&P 9 (with CTC Lasergrip mounted): 7"
  • Walther PPX: 7"
  • FNH FNS9: 7¼"
  • Glock 19 (Gen 3): 7½"
Classics for comparison:
  • Springfield Armory PC9111 "Professional" (VZ Gator Backs): just a hair over 6¾"
  • Smith & Wesson K-22 Combat Masterpiece (Spegel stocks): ~7½"

15 comments:

TBeck said...

Huh. The XD fits me well, as does the M&P, although I use the large backstrap. So, just under 7" is the sweet spot. Interesting.

This new learning amazes me, Sir Bevedere!

B said...

" Clear the chamber and then, since the gun is only "unloaded" in a Schrödinger's Cat sort of way"

I think I love you....

global village idiot said...

Schrodinger's Bullet is or is not loaded in Heisenberg's Uncertainty Chamber.

gvi

Old NFO said...

Well done... :-) Schrödinger's Cat... LOL

Overload in Colorado said...

I wonder if double action revolver's length of pull are considerably longer?
Could you test a J,K, and L frames? Or are there differences with models built on the same frame size?

Scotty said...

Umm, did i miss something? What/where are you measuring? And why? Is there a corresponding measurement on your hand that can tell you if the gun is predisposed to being a good fit?

Tam said...

Scotty,

I added a paragraph for clarity; I had assumed the picture would be self-explanatory. Sorry. :o


Overload in Colorado,

I included the measurement for a K-22 with Spegel stocks in the post.

Boat Guy said...

I noted the K-frame with some interest. You (and Kathy of course) have brought something interesting to the table; I've always known that the M9 trigger reach was too long (in DA mode anyway) for many small hands, but I never bothered to measure just how long it is.
Bride's gonna be annoyed if I use her good tape; maybe one of those gimme's at the furniture store...

Tam said...

Couple bucks at CVS. :)

Noah said...

Glock 19 7 1/2"
SA 1911 6 3/4"

Sometimes that 3/4" feels like a mile...

Anonymous said...

JOHN B

1911 6 8/4?

og said...

You wouldn't go out in public in ill fittng pants, or a shirt three sizes too small (Well, walmartians excluded)so it boggles me to see people buying guns that clearly do not fit their hands. My hands are somewhat small for my size, and the number of firearms that "Fit" me is not large. I have often thought that a more sophisticated method of measuring grip volume as well as size would be very useful, and this is an interesting start.

Windy Wilson said...

Scotty, I think this is the start of a process for making the fit of a pistol as measurable and as rational as possible, rescuing it from the "it does/doesn't feel good in my hand" domain of black art. Kind of like how those shotguns that are adjustable six ways to Sunday enable one to measure and analyze how and why one shotgun does not fit/point/shoot as well as another.

TigerStripe said...

I appreciate the measurements, especially those of the M&P, Glock and FNS .

I'm looking forward to more of your thoughts on the FNS.

pax said...

I stole it from somewhere, not sure where... Tom Givens?