Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Gratuitous Gun Pr0n #88...

I just swapped my SP2022* for a Walther PPX, more or less on a whim. There were multiple reasons, foremost being that I'm kinda curious to see how well a pistol designed to compete in the "used Glock" end of the market actually works, plus the thing was just "pound puppy" ugly sitting there in the showcase. I kinda felt sorry for it; poor little hydrocephalic thing.

The construction method has a very volkspistole vibe to it. It uses as many manufacturing shortcuts as you can without going all the way to a simple cast pot-metal slide and straight blowback operation. It's got heavy-gauge stamped slide with a separate pinned-in breechblock, a la the classic P-series SIGs, except this breechblock appears to be a casting? Or maybe a big chunk of MIM? Two piece barrels are nothing new, turning up in everything from classic High Powers to new Springfield 1911s, but this one has a three-piece affair, with the barrel pressed into a locking block and then a feed ramp affixed to that assembly.

It's the next step down the road from the Sauer SIGs, through the Glock, and now to this. I'm going to shoot it and see if it breaks.


*If anybody's dying for a two-tone SP2022 with factory nights, it's probably in the showcase at Premier Arms even as I type this. One owner, only a hundred rounds!
.

16 comments:

Critter said...

i'll be interested to see if it breaks, too. i absolutely loathe these new Walther PP series: the grip is wrong and they are just butt ugly. if it goes kablooey, do post some pics.

Pakkinpoppa said...

Best Friend of mine has a PPQ. Which has multiplied into at least two, perhaps three...

I've not fired the PPX, but the PPQ's are very nice. If I didn't already have a decent investment in Blocks already, I'd ponder switching like he did. Maybe.

Hope for a range report on PPX...it does intrigue.

Bob G said...

Hope it works for you!

I recently upgraded to a Springer XD-S in 9mm, and I'm struck by how much extra stuff has to be purchased: mags, spare parts, holster(s), mag pouches (previous pistol was a double-column), etc. I feel like I'm adding a new spouse to the harem.

Good luck with the PPX, and let us know how you like it! Thanks.

Paul said...

Kinda sounds like a sales pitch.

I need to get some range time with a couple of recent additions and see if they have a place or not.

Might have to try this Walther some day. We will see how you feel in month or so.

Anonymous said...

Very nice of you to remember ugly pistols need loving homes too!

Gerry

Tam said...

Bob Grundman,

I'm not buying all that stuff for this gun. I may, may, buy a third magazine.

If it's still up and running in a couple thousand rounds, I may start thinking about a holster in case I decide to play a gun game with it or something.

MJM said...

"Volkspistole" vibe. Funny. Good to see you at NRA 2014.

Weer'd Beard said...

I kinda liked the Walther/HK Magazine release paddle.

Of course I like the buttons too (duhh) but I really miss that feature of plastic Walthers.

I know the PPQ has an AMAZING trigger for a DAO striker.

Heard the mags are like hen's teeth.

Matt G said...

As a consumer, I hope it works well and holds up, because that means that there will be more quality pistols out on the market.

As a lover of good lines and such, I just want it out of my sight, and out of the sight of the children, and for Gawd's sake don't bring it out or up at dinnertime!

RevolverRob said...

For whatever reason all these cheap Walthers sort of give me the equivalent of a Gun Hipster Anxiety Attack. It's not that a $400 gun doesn't work, it's not that it doesn't work well...it's just so...plebeian.

Still, shoot it and I look forward to seeing how it goes. It might be nice to recommend this to those who insist upon a "new" pistol when shopping. Right now I've been recommending the Smith SD with 30 bucks worth of Apex parts installed.

-Rob

Tam said...

What's that, Matt? You say you want to shoot it? I'll be sure and bring it next time I'm out that way, then. Anything for a friend. :D

Joel said...

I hope it works well for you too. But wow, that pistol takes ugly to a place where I thought only Hi-Points dwelt!

Tam said...

Joel,

I've seen pictures of your rifle, dude. ;)

Rob said...

"Blogger Tam said...

Joel,

I've seen pictures of your rifle, dude. ;)"


Um, phrasing...

DRA said...

Weer'd Beard:

Walther's website has plenty of magazines in stock, and the M1 also takes P99 mags too.

Mike W. said...

The M1 actually takes Magnum Research mags as well and they're just as reliable as Walther branded mags, only they're ~$25

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Magnum-Research-Mag-15Rd-MAGFA915.html