Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Random Gun Stuff:

1) I like taking ammo to the range loose in ammo cans. I've been using them for my most commonly used range calibers: .22LR, .38 Special, 9x19, .45ACP, and .223. I finally got another ammo can, and dumped all my .44 Special (except the Buffalo Bore) in it. Now I can use the freed-up MTM Case-Gard boxes for .44-40. I feel so organized.

2) I still need .45ACP dies, darnit. I've got all my major handgun calibers covered except this one. I'd like to get some .32ACP dies, too.

3) I have this .243Win ammo sitting here, and nothing in which to fire it. Someone had expressed interest via email, but I lost the email in the morass of my in-box. There are 18 rounds of Federal Premium 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in one of those little camo MTM belt containers, a full 20rd box of Federal Premium 100gr Sierra Gamekings, and nine rounds left of Remington 100gr Core-Lokt in the factory box. Email me and we'll engage in an act of voluntary capitalism between consenting adults.

4) I picked up a blue gun to be able to practice some gun kata in the living room without having to use an actual firearm. It's one of those Ring's blue guns; a Springfield Operator. (I need to dremel the tac rail off of it so it will fit my leather.) The molding is extremely detailed, down to the Novak's imprint on the rear sight. I will note that whoever owned the gun Ring's used for their mold has a wicked flinch; that rear sight is drifted way to the right...

9 comments:

theirritablearchitect said...

Tam,

I'll ping you on yer mail regarding the .243.

We can discuss, if you'd like.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that on the blue gun too. I've got a collection of about 30 or so, several are like that.

The red guns made by ASP are awful. Casting shrinkage, bubbles, and voids all over. But the worst is that the halves of the mold aren't usually lined up very well - my Beretta 92 red gun is nearly an eighth of an inch off - it looks like someone cut it in half down the middle and then glued it back together crooked.

Dock said...

I've noticed that a lot of the CO2 replica guns are as cheap or cheaper than the blue guns, and they have the added advantage of shooting pellets later - of course, if you need a totally dead gun, that won't do.

The RCBS carbide die set I have for .45 ACP works like a champeen so far. I like that carbide ring - no lube required.

Maybe the sights are pre-drifted to give the majority of amateur shooters the ultimate in realistic reproduction. ;) (I say that knowing full well that The Flinch lives in us all...)

Evel Emperor said...

Have you considered possibly buying a .243 upper for that ammo? Hmmm? And I thought you were down with the strange and obscure.

Tam said...

"Have you considered possibly buying a .243 upper for that ammo?"

No, because I'd need to buy a .308 lower to go with it.

Frank W. James said...

Tam: don't you have a Thompson Center Encore? (Think Indiana deer season) Because if you do, I have a .243 barrel I'll sell you.

All The Best,
Frank W. James

TJP said...

You should wildcat those and open up the necks. Hey, you know what, 30 cal bullets are easy to find, right? You could name it .308x51 or 7.62 Winchester, or something like that. I bet it would be an instant hit!

< /obtuse >

Tam said...

"Because if you do, I have a .243 barrel I'll sell you."

*Blink* *Blink*

Hmm. We should chat...

Overload in Colorado said...

"Email me and we'll engage in an act of voluntary capitalism between consenting adults."

That's code for doing something between (usually) a man and a woman. Next thing you know, you'll want him to pay you in 'roses'!